Friday, November 16, 2012

Value



Most of us would love to slow our lives down. We'd love to rest a little more, reflect a little more, savor the things we enjoy a little more. Yet, for many of us it's been a long time since we intentionally slowed down our lives, slow enough to ponder unthinkable size questions! Not unthinkable that we can't think about them, but unthinkable that when we do think about them they boggle the mind. And the truth is most of us try not to think about these life-size questions, in fact, the faster we do life the less time we'll have for our minds to wrestle these questions.

Questions that will takes us to overwhelming answers, answers that are completely life altering when we study and apply the truth of them to our lives. But I'm asking you to slow down long enough to wrestle with a question and then apply the answer to your life. 

What gives my life value?
Back many years ago when I completely my master's degree, my parents gave me a very special gift. Now, you need to know that my parents weren't banking on me ever finishing college. So, when I finished my master's degree it was a fairly big deal in our family. Leading my parents to give me a hand touched autographed painting by Thomas Kinkade. I love art that I understand, but what makes this painting valuable to me is that it has the artist hand touched signature on it, and even though it's from a series, because the artist hand touched it... it's unique. He signed it!

Not a stamp, it's not a copy, I know that the artist himself touched this painting and signed it. And it's his personal touches and signature that give this painting its value.

Yet, I've always been amazed by what gives something value.

Pursues, you can have the same name on them but one of them is real and comes from the designer while the other is a knock off (one purse a Coach and the other a "fo-ach"). One was dug out of the bottom of a pile and one was unlocked from a secure area. What's the difference? the value is from the designer, one is from his shop, with his seal of approval is on it. When I purchased one of these I haggled over the price and keep working him down. The other had a set price and they told me to take it or leave it. One had little to no value but the other had significant value.

But the value of stuff is not a life altering question. When we're talking about value I need to know what gives my life value!?!

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female.

I am created by the hands of God and God's signature is all over my life! I have value because I am the unique, one of a kind creation of God. How does this answer change the way you see yourself? Don't let the world tell you what your worth when your designed, your Creator has already set the price!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment