Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Way Outside The Box

I'm wrestling again. I can't resolve why the body of Christ is struggling so much to make any kind of significant impact in our culture. I've heard church leaders talk about how church is suppose to be done, and the world will simply have to adjust to our traditions. If they want to hear about Jesus then they will simply have to adjust to us. I have also listened to new church leaders talk about connecting to culture. I'm afraid we have blended to the point of ,"what's the difference?!?" Every generation points to the another generation with great blame. Every kind of church points to churches of different methodology with great blame.
I guess I'm needing to ask, when did winning the church wars become more important than seeing the gospel proclaimed to a hurting and disconnected world?!? I know church leaders talk about wanting to change their church's culture, but many feel blocked by the people in the pews. SO, here's my idea, what if we didn't start with changes in worship? What if we, as church leaders, instilled a passion for the world, a larger world view of the gospel in our people? What if we changed the culture of church by getting them beyond the walls of the church? What if we taught our people how to stop going to church and start being the church? We could stop worrying about what we sing and start worrying about how we serve! I don't know, just a thought!

1 comment:

  1. Scott,

    A brother in Australia is struggling with some of the same issues. You might find his thought process interesting. You can find him at http://mark-bymaswell.blogspot.com/

    Blessings my friend.

    John

    ReplyDelete