Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What defines your life?!?

After spending 4 amazing days with my son in Washington DC, I have started reflecting on what defines my life. Throughout history most men have been defined by their careers. We have allowed our self worth to be captured in our paychecks and job titles. However, over the last few days I have been in a place where no one knows what I do for a living, with my son who only cared that I was with him. I meet people who were shocked when I opened doors for someone, offered up my seat, or demonstrated kindness to complete strangers. Over the last 4 days I was not defined by my career (pastor) but by my character. I am convinced that God is telling me to focus on the weight of my character. It is easy to allow the prestige of what I do to define my character and to allow everyone to assume things about my character simply because they associate me with my career. But, I want my obedience to the pursuit of God and my transformation to the image of God to define me. I do not live with a hunger for God because it will further my career, if God were to call me out of ministry and into the workplace, I would still live with a commitment to the covenant relationship of my faith. So, what defines you... and do you like what it says about you?

1 comment:

  1. Scott,
    Nice to find your blog. I will be dropping by from time to time.

    This whole question of definition is a show stopper. I came to grips with this one while in ATL. It's what precipitated the move to Sulligent (Aka, "Mayberry"). I came to realize that the greatest contribution I was going to make to the world and, more importantly, the the Kingdom of God was through the lives of my children. To invest in them has become my passion and God is graciously providing evident dividends!

    Good thoughts here!

    Take good care of my sis!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete