Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Leadership Resolution

I've recently tried to define my basic strategy when it comes to leadership. I've read, watched, and listened to hundreds of men and women describe leadership, and ultimately I've realized that Christian Leadership should not be defined by the terms of the world by the words of my scriptures. Therefore, I want to lay out what I see as God's leadership lesson as described through His word.
2 Peter 1:5-8 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. NASU
Scripture tells us to add to our faith with ALL DILIGENCE, these additional characteristics and I see a leadership journey in these verse necessary if we want to lead as Jesus led. However, I need to admit each characteristic is harder for a Christian leader than the one before it. Peter begins with faith and no christian leader can lead as Jesus led without faith, you would think this is a no brainer but you'd be surprise how many of us as Christian leaders try to lead through with the same leadership tactic as world but hoping for spiritual results. Peter then tells us to add to our faith with complete passion these additional characteristics and I want to list them for you with a basic definition. Remember, each level is progressive and harder to live out than the one before it.
Moral Excellence is the God given ability to perform heroic deeds.
Knowledge is the truth of God properly comprehended and applied.
Self Control is the restraint to trust the will of God over the will of self.
Perseverance is the spiritual staying power that will die before it gives in.
Godliness is a reverent loyalty to the obedient pursuit of Christ likeness.
Brotherly kindness is the selflessness of being a living sacrifice.
Love is the surrendered choice of dying to self so others can experience Christ.
I find it amazing the two hardest characteristics of the christian life is kindness and love. Knowledge of our field is much easier than finding the time to be kind and to love others. As a christian leader I am reminded of how hard it is to die to self and to live and love as Christ did. But I am committed to the leadership principles of scripture and I hope I can influence others in the body of Christ to the same banner!

2 comments:

  1. I like your thoughts on leadership. I agree that leadership in the kingdom of God is so different than Leadership as the world understands it. I like your definitions of characteristics for leadership found in 2 Peter 1:5-8. Except the first one on Moral Excellence, "God given ability to perform heroic deeds" I believe moral excellence is a God given ability and if you define "heroic deed" as walking in unison and fellowship with Him. Then I am ok with that. Maybe I would have said it in a different way.
    I strongly agree that one builds upon the other, and therefor more difficult than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    Good post. In a similar (but different vein) you might be interested in John Ortberg's take on the "Hidden Curriculum" of our lives. Find it here http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/thepastor/pastorsrole/hiddencurriculum.html (cut and paste is the only option I know on getting to the address...)

    Blessings!

    John

    ReplyDelete