Monday, April 27, 2009

transfering worship to life application

I know good bloggers raise questions and provide answers but I seem to be full of more questions, than answers. I am wrestling with worship and watching a room full of believers emotionally connected to the truths of scripture, walk back into society unchanged by what they have received. Somewhere in my academic history I sat in a seminary class and was taught that it is my job to accurately teach God's word and it was the people's job to receive it and apply it. Well I have a problem, I am too emotionally connected to lives of these people! I cannot watch people I love listen to God's word but live untransformed lives. I'm drawn back to the different images of a cowboy and a shepherd. Cowboys are the image of our country; tough, independent, and very task oriented because he knows that every animal he leads will be sacrificed to reach his goals. However, the shepherd is strong, involved, and very compassionate because he knows that every animal must survive to reach his goals. As a shepherd, I want the best for the people God's asked me to shepherd. I long for them to see the amazing life found in living a life conformed to the image of Jesus and not a life bent on the do's and don'ts of religion. In my pursuit of Jesus I discover the life of His word!

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say that it is not necessarily a bad thing to be too attached to people. All throughout the Bible there are prophets and people chosen by God that were so attached to people that they literally "tore their clothing" sometimes in anger and sometimes in literal agony for God's people because of their disobedience. I think that as pastors we are to be attached to the people we serve but it can become overburdensome sometimes when we see people that profess Jesus as Lord conveniently disobey the teachings of Christ. It is awesome to know that you feel for the people because it shows your passion for change in our lives and in the life of our church and community. Without passionate people pursuing a passionate God there cannot be passionate people. Thanks for being honest and vulnerable! Glad to be serving alongside you here at North River!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    You have touched on one of the heart strings of my life. I don't call myself a pastor much anymore - I find myself preferring the term shepherd (which is exactly what "pastor" means!). Can I recommend you find Charles Jefferson's little book, The Minister as Shepherd. Probably out of print somewhere but it is a gem that strikes at this very issue.

    One thing I have learned in watching people grow under my care as their shepherd is that the transitions take time. I am amazed that seeds planted years ago are just now finding fruit...what if I had "run for greener pastures?" Blessings in your right hearted approach to those you serve. May your tribe increase.

    "It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace..." Philippians 1:7

    Sounds like Paul may have had the same thoughts that you are having...

    Blessings!

    John

    ReplyDelete